Gas leak on campus
Published: Thursday, April 25, 2013
Updated: Thursday, April 25, 2013 19:04
The Easton Fire Department was called to campus Saturday after getting reports of strong gas odors in Skillman Library, Acopian Engineering Center, and Pi Beta Phi sorority house Saturday.
The odors led to further inspection, Assistant Director of Environmental Health and Safety Jeff Troxell said.
“The report of odor came from a few individuals on campus,” Troxell said. “The fire department came, but there was no source identified.”
Caroline Johnston ‘13, a resident of Pi Beta Phi, said the smell of gas was strong throughout the building.
“[The smell] was so potent,” Johnston said. “I left [the building] because I couldn’t handle it.”
As per protocol, Skillman was evacuated while the fire department evaluated the scene. After no principal source of open gas was found, the UGI natural gas company, which serves the college, set up an operational base on campus.
Gas levels were checked in the buildings with reported odors. All evaluations showed no signs of high gas levels.
According to Troxell, it was believed that the smell had drifted in the wind from a location outside of Lafayette College.
When asked to comment about the gas scare, Plant Operation’s Don Brinker, Assistant Supervisor of Mechanical Trades, said he had no knowledge of the incident.
Brinker said sometimes if it is just a scare, he will not be notified of the situation.
The Lafayette phoned UGI gas regarding the incident, but the company said no immediate information was available to summarize what action was taken.